East Canyon State Park
East Canyon State Park is tucked high in the mountains of northeastern Utah between
Salt Lake City
and Morgan. Highlighted by a man-made lake, it offers 680 acres of boating and fishing in a beautiful valley surrounded by the Wasatch Mountains.
Located only 28 miles east of Salt Lake City, it offers an escape from the city without having to drive far. You can enjoy the usual array of activities you would expect at any of Utah’s lakes or reservoirs:
- ice fishing in winter
- or even just picnicking
The reservoir holds some nice rainbow and brown trout. East Canyon is located at an elevation of 5,700 feet.
If you like history … especially Utah history … the nearby Mormon Pioneer Trail follows the steps of the early Mormon pioneers as they trekked towards the Salt Lake Valley. And beyond. Since the area is in the middle of a mature forest, you’ll have to look for the signs.
Park facilities include:
- a concrete boat launching ramp
- a 33-unit RV campground
- two covered group-use pavilions
- boat rentals
- a snack bar
- paved parking
- nice views
Hours & Fees
The park hours are 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. It’s open year-round even on holidays. The road on the Salt Lake City side up west of Little Dell is often closed during the winter though. Winter access is from the Morgan side.
- Day visits are $9 per day. $5 for Utah seniors 62+.
- An annual pass is $75.
- A Senior Adventure Pass is $35 and good for a year.
- Dixie Creek Campground - $20 for water and electric hookups. $25 for full hookups.
- Big Rock Campground - $12 for a primitive experience.
- Yurts - $60 with a $200 security deposit. The heat is off from May 15 thru October 15. And no pets are allowed in or around them.
Group Day Use
- The Bauchman Group Pavilion holds 50 people and 8 vehicles max. For a flat rate of $100.
- The Pratt Group Pavilion holds 75 people and 8 vehicles max. And a flat rate of $175.
Group Overnight Camping
- Rivers Edge Group Campground - $100 flat rate. 100 people and 30 vehicles max.
- Large Spring Group Campground - $50 flat rate. 25 people and 20 vehicles max.
- Mormon Flat Group Campground - $75 flat rate. 100 people and 20 vehicles max.
How Do You Get There?
The park is 28 miles northeast of Salt Lake City. Head up Parley’s Canyon on I-80 for 16 miles and look for the sign at the Mountain Dell turn-off.
Follow that road northeast for another 12 miles. It is also located 12 miles south of the town of Morgan along SR 66.
The drive up the canyon from the Salt Lake City side is a beautiful drive especially in summer and fall. My wife and I drove up on a Friday night after work to get some photos.
We left Salt Lake City around 6:40 p.m. and were eating our dinner ... we took it along ... by 7:30 p.m. from a scenic vantage point above the lake.
East Canyon State Park
5535 South Highway 66
Morgan, Utah 84050
Back to top of East Canyon State Park
Back to Utah State Parks
Back to Utah-Travel-Secrets.com